The Faculty of Law
of the University of New South Wales
is a law school
situated in Sydney
. The Faculty is one of the most innovative and prestigious law schools in Australia.
The Faculty comprises the School of Law, the Australian School of Taxation (Atax), a community legal centre, a centre for continuing legal education, and 12 affiliated research and specialist legal centres. Currently, the Faculty teaches approximately 2400 law students and 1400 tax students. In 2009, UNSW Law School replaced its Graduate-Entry LLB
program with the Juris Doctor
The Faculty opened on 1 March 1971 with 219 undergraduate students. Prior to this, only the University of Sydney
offered law degrees in New South Wales. The task of establishing the new law school was given to Hal Wootten QC, who was appointed Foundation Dean in 1969. When it was first started, it was just a one-man unit in a wooden hut. Within two years of opening its doors, the Law Faculty had outgrown "The Huts" and, via other interim homes, in 1976 moved to occupy five floors of the UNSW Library Tower. In 2006 the Faculty moved to a new law building on lower campus.
In 2005, the Faculty launched the Law Endowment Campaign to raise funds to support key research, social justice and scholarship initiatives over the long term. The first phase of the... Read More