Uppsala University Hospital
(, often referred to colloquially as "Akademiska" or "Ackis"
) in Uppsala
is a teaching hospital
for the Uppsala University
Faculty of Medicine and the Nursing School. Uppsala University Hospital is owned and operated by the Uppsala County Council
in cooperation with the university and serves, together with Enköping hospital
, as the primary hospitals for Uppsala County
. It also fills the function of a tertiary referral hospital
for the Uppsala/Örebro health care region and, for certain specialities, a tertiary referral hospital for the entire country of Sweden
The university hospital has its origins in two older hospitals: one was founded in 1302 and is older than the university, the other one was founded for the Faculty of Medicine in 1708. These were merged in 1850.
The earliest hospital in Uppsala was founded in 1302. This was used for 400 years until the great fire of 1702, which destroyed large parts of central Uppsala. A new hospital, which later became the Uppsala county hospital, was built in its place, but was moved out of the town in 1811.
The university hospital as such was founded in 1708 as the first clinic with the specific intention of facilitating the practical education of medical students. Known as the Nosocomium Academicum
, it was located in the Oxenstierna Palace at Riddartorget, beside the cathedral (see illustration). The building (the former residence of the President of... Read More