USS Accohanoc (YTB-545/YTM-545)
was a Hisada-class harbor tug
in the service of the United States Navy
, named after a tribe of the Powhatan
She was laid down on 12 April 1945 at Morris Heights, New York
by Consolidated Shipbuilding
, launched on 9 July 1945, and delivered to the Navy on 28 December 1945.
By that time, however, World War II
had ended and the Navy's need for all types of ships had greatly diminished. Consequently, instead of joining the Fleet, the large harbor tug was placed in reserve at Green Cove Springs, Florida
, and remained inactive for 16 months.
She was finally placed in service in May 1947, for duty in the 7th Naval District
, plying the waters of Florida
. When the 7th Naval District was dissolved on 1 September 1948, Accohanoc
reported to the commandant of its successor, the enlarged 6th Naval District
. That assignment endured for almost 40 years. In February 1962, the tug was reclassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTM-545. Her last years as a naval vessel were spent handling the in and out of berth at Pensacola Naval Air Station
, Pensacola, Florida.
In February 1987, Accohanoc
was placed out of service at NAS Pensacola, and her name was struck from the Navy List
. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration
on 10 June 1987.