USS Hillsborough County (LST-827)
was an built for the United States Navy
during World War II
. Named after Hillsborough County, Florida
, she was the only U.S. Naval vessel to bear the name.
Originally laid down as USS LST-827 by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Company of Evansville, Indiana on 13 October 1944; launched 22 November; sponsored by Mrs. Clark H. Woodward; and commissioned 12 December with Lieutenant R. L. Olander in command.
World War II, 1945
After shakedown off Florida
loaded smoke-pots on her tank deck, then departed Mobile, Alabama
on 17 January 1945. Following brief stops at the Panama Canal Zone
and Pearl Harbor
, she arrived at Eniwetok
early in March. Sailing for Guam
on the 13th, she unloaded her cargo, and for the next two months transported men and equipment between the Marianas
and the Philippines
. After embarking Marine Fighting Squadron 212
(VMF-212) of Marine Air Group 14
departed San Pedro Bay
, Philippines on 24 May en route to Okinawa
. When she arrived five days later, American forces were already engaged in a two-month campaign
to push the enemy from its Pacific
stronghold. After unloading men and equipment, she steamed to the Philippines for additional reinforcements. For the remainder of World War II, LST-827
operated in the vicinity of Okinawa and the Philippines, transporting men and supplies for the final drive to the enemy's homeland.