USS Hilo (AGP-2)
was a acquired by the United States Navy
for service in World War II
. This tender was responsible for providing logistics to torpedo boats
in remote areas.Hilo
— originally the yacht Caroline
— was built in 1931 by Bath Iron Works
, Bath, Maine
, and was purchased by the Navy as Moana
from William B. Leeds on 28 November 1941. Converted to Navy use at Craig Shipbuilding Co., Long Beach, California
, she commissioned as USS Hilo (PG-58)
on 11 June 1942, Lieutenant Commander
F. A. Munroe in command.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
One of the first ships to be used as a motor torpedo boat tender, Hilo
departed Long Beach, California, to load supplies at San Diego, California
on 19 June and sailed for Pearl Harbor
on 28 June.
The ship arrived Pearl Harbor on 5 July 1942, and was immediately sent to Palmyra Island
to tend a torpedo boat squadron there. Hilo
remained in the vicinity fueling and providing supplies to the boats then under training until returning to Pearl Harbor again on 4 October. She was soon underway, however, steaming by way of Palmyra Island to Canton Island
, where she arrived on 29 October. There she took on passengers and proceeded to Funafuti
, arriving on 2 November.
Tending torpedo boats
The ship remained at Funafuti until 25 November, tending torpedo boats and engaging in rescue operations as American forces prepared for the coming assault on the Gilberts
and other units from Funafuti rescued the gallant......