Following the end of World War II, most railways throughout the world were looking to either update their fleet of steam locomotives with new and more economical designs or look towards alternatives, which for many meant a programme of dieselisation. The main considerations were the rising cost of coal against diesel oil and the weight of the trains causing wear and tear on the track. In looking to the dieselisation of their system the Ulster Transport Authority
(UTA) made early inroads with small, lightweight diesel units, based on those built for the Great Western Railway
, using the same manufacturers to supply parts and undertaking construction in their own workshops.
(Associated Equipment Company Limited) of Southall, London were a well known bus chassis, engine and body builders responsible for many types of London's famous red buses. They also provided engines for many diesel railcars built for, or by, the Great Western Railway and later British Railways. In the early 1950s, with dieselisation being undertaken on the GNR
and the UTA systems, their products were supplied to both companies.
In August 1951 UTA's York Road works outshopped two new power cars which, following on the first diesel acquisitions, were numbered 6 and 7. They lasted well, 15 July 1966 seeing their last recorded working, after which they were not used again, although not officially withdrawn. On the formation of NIR they were included in the stock transferred over, to be... Read More