The Vassar College Observatory
is located near the eastern edge of the Poughkeepsie
, New York
college's campus. Finished in 1865, it was the first building on the college's campus, older even than the Main Building
, with which it shares the status of National Historic Landmark
. The observatory's significance is due to its association with Maria Mitchell
, the first widely known woman astronomer
in the United States
As the college has built a new observatory on a hill near the edge of campus, the building is no longer used for astronomy. In 2008 it underwent a large restoration and renovation and now houses the offices of the Education Department and classrooms.
Mitchell, the first manager of the observatory, focused primarily on observing planets
and their satellites
. She was an avid advocate for using the observatory as part of courses of study. Students could frequently be found using both the main telescope and any number of smaller instruments. In addition to serving as an educational and research facility, the original observatory also served as a home for Maria and her father during and after her tenure as professor.
Professor Mary W. Whitney assumed the directorship in 1888. She had been a student of Mitchell's. Whitney focused on comets and published in 1890, 1892 and 1895 in the Astronomical Journal
It was noted in Popular Astronomy
in 1904, "In general the work done at Vassar is similar to that done at several of the smaller German and Italian... Read More