The Vauxhall Prince Henry
was a car manufactured by Vauxhall Motors
from 1911 to 1914. It had a length of around and a weight of depending on the model and the coachwork fitted.
Officially classed as the C-10 type
, the name "Prince Henry" was introduced to distinguish the three cars that were entered in the 1200 mile (1900KM) long 1910 Motor Trials named in honour of Prince Henry of Prussia
. The Vauxhall Prince Henry also competed in other international trials including the 1911 St Petersburg
Trial leading to two cars being sold to Tsar Nicholas II
The Prince Henry was based on the Vauxhall 20hp
that had been designed in 1909 by then draughtsman Laurence Pomeroy
(1883-1941) when the company's chief designer F. W. Hodges was away on holiday. The engine was of 4 cylinder monobloc
design with side valves and a capacity of 3054 cc giving output. Three of these cars were entered in the RAC trial and one won the speed trials at Brooklands
which was part of the event as well as winning the fuel economy
award for its class. This victory helped Pomeroy to be promoted to Works Manager. This model was known as the A11 Vauxhall
and was produced, with periodic improvements until 1914, with about 950 being made.
With the decision to enter the Prince Henry Trial the engine power was increased to at 2800 rpm and as a result of the success replicas were put on the market at £580 and called the C10 type but became better known as the Prince... Read More