was a two-year college in Victoria, British Columbia
founded in 1903 with sponsorship from McGill University
. It was one of the first post-secondary institutions in British Columbia
. With a staff of two faculty members, the first class consisted of four women and three men.
Between the years 1903 and 1915, Victoria College was affiliated with McGill University
, offering first- and second-year McGill courses in Arts and Science. Administered locally by the Victoria School Board, the College was an adjunct to Victoria High School
and shared its facilities. Both institutions were under the direction of a single Principal: E.B. Paul, 1903-1908; and S.J. Willis, 1908-1915. The opening in 1915 of the University of British Columbia
, established by Act of Legislature in 1908, obliged the College to suspend operations in higher education in Victoria.
In 1920, as a result of local demands, Victoria College began the second stage of its development, reborn in affiliation with the University of British Columbia. Though still administered by the Victoria School Board, the College was now completely separated from Victoria High School, moving September 27, 1921, into the magnificent Dunsmuir mansion known as Craigdarroch Castle
. Here, under Principals E.B. Paul and P.H. Elliott, Victoria College built a reputation over the next two decades for thorough and scholarly instruction in first- and second-year Arts and Science.
The final stage, between the years 1945 and 1963, saw... Read More