The facility has 344 Acute Care beds, 30 Neuro-Rehabilitation beds and 40 Geriatric Ward beds.
The current hospital was constructed in 1983. It was known as Victoria General Hospital North until Victoria General Hospital South (in downtown Victoria) was closed. VGH South was known before 1983 as Victoria General Hospital and before that as St. Joseph's Hospital. St. Joseph's Hospital was founded in 1876 and taken over from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Victoria by the provincial government in 1972.