, currently known as the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham Stadium
, for sponsorship purposes, is the home ground of Dagenham & Redbridge F.C.
of London, England. It has a capacity of 6,078.
The site on Victoria Road has been a football ground since 1917, when it was used by the Sterling Works side, whose factory was situated alongside it. It was not fully enclosed until the summer of 1955, when Briggs Sports moved out to Rush Green Road, and Dagenham F.C.
moved from the Arena. During that summer they levelled and re-seeded the pitch, removed the stones from the playing surface and extended the banking and the terracing. The only cover was a tiny wooden stand, which was steep and narrow and had a few rows of seating on the far side of the ground. The main stand was built in the autumn of 1955 and was opened on 7 January 1956 by J.W. Bowers who was the chairman of the Essex County Football Association
. During the summer of 1956 the turnstile block at the Victoria Road side of the ground and the men's toilets situated at the Victoria Road were added. In the summer of 1958 the cover over the far side was erected at a cost of £1,400. The first floodlight match at Victoria Road was Dagenham v Woodford
in the FA Youth Cup
on 26 September 1957 and the first senior match was a friendly against Rainham Town F.C.
on 19 March 1958. The attendance record was set in 1967 with the visit of Reading F.C.
in the FA Cup
when 7200 crammed into the ground.
Although the... Read More