The Vietnamese Family of Buddhists
(also known as Gia đình phật tử Việt Nam
(GĐPTVN)) is a Buddhist youth organisation
that seeks to imbue its members with Buddhist ethics
. It has been in existence for over 60 years in Vietnam and in Overseas Vietnamese
communities since the Fall of Saigon
, and are usually associated with Buddhist temples.
Objectives of the GĐPTVN
The purpose of the Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Association can be stated as follows:
1. Training youths to be true Buddhists (Constructing the individual).
2. Training youths to be productive citizens who will make positive contributions to society (Constructing the society).
The Five Morals that a Buddhist needs to practice daily:
1. Diligence: always progress toward the goals of the Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Association and Buddhism.
2. Forgiveness: always be happy, forgiving, and joyful; trying to bring happiness to all beings and know when to sacrifice for others.
3. Purity: Always be pre in body, speech, thought, and action. Always lead a simple and modest life.
4. Wisdom: Always have a broad knowledge and an accurate understanding of all subjects.
5. Compassion: Always brings happiness in order to reduce miseries for all beings. Know how to use only kind words and gracious gestures to bring peace and happiness to all beings. Know how to conduct charity to help all beings.
Three Virtues every GDPT Youth members and leaders have to follow:
Compassion: (Từ Bi)means sympathetic concern for the suffering of... Read More