is a middle-class
neighbourhood in Buenos Aires
, located in the geographical centre of the city. It had a population of 83,646 people in 2001, and thus population density
of 23,235 inhabitants/km².
It grew around the "Fábrica Nacional de Calzado" (National Shoe Factory
, 1888). It is named after Buenos Aires mayor, Antonio F. Crespo
. On April 11, 1894, the San Bernardo church was opened to the public. Villa Crespo was home to several conventillo
, including the most famous one, the Conventillo de la Paloma
. Under Juan B. Justo avenue
runs the Maldonado waterstream, culverted to prevent major floods.
Villa Crespo has been traditionally associated with the Jewish
community, hosting several synagogues
schools and youth movements
, but it is actually populated by a mix of different peoples, just like the rest of Buenos Aires. Its traditional football
club is Atlanta
Until the 1980s, it had a clothing commercial centre in Scalabrini Ortiz
Avenue (previously named Canning), but it has lost its strength over the years. The main commercial hub is still the intersection of Scalabrini Ortiz and Corrientes avenues.
clothes stores are located in the area around Murillo street, and on Warnes Avenue are numerous auto-part stores. On the other hand, the neighbourhood has a relative lack of... Read More