Villa-Maria station takes its name from the nearby Villa Maria school, which in turn takes its name from the Latin House of Mary.
The surrounding lands were once owned by the Decarie family. The land was sold in 1795 to Sir James Monk and the Monk residence built in 1804. This is the central section of the present-day Villa Maria school. In 1844, the building was leased to the Crown as a residence for the Governors-Generals of Canada. (Lord Metcalfe, Earl Cathcart, and Lord Elgin all resided on the Monklands.)
The property became a country hotel for five years, after which time it was purchased by the nuns of Congregation-de-Notre-Dame in 1854, who turned it into a private girls school which they named Villa Maria. The metro station was built at the foot of the Villa Maria property.
Connecting bus routes
<table align=center border=1 class="wikitable"><tr><th align=center>Route<th... Read More