The Vine Cricket Ground
(aka Sevenoaks Vine
) is one of the oldest cricket
venues in England. It was given to the town of Sevenoaks
by John Frederick Sackville, 3rd Duke of Dorset
) and owner of Knole House
, where the ground is sited. The land was thought previously to have been used as a vineyard for the Archbishops of Canterbury (hence the name).
The weatherboard pavilion is 19th century. The Vine Cricket Club must pay Sevenoaks Town Council a rent of 2 peppercorns per year - one for the ground and one for the pavilion, the archetypal peppercorn rent
. They, in turn, must pay Lord Sackville (if asked) one cricket ball on the 21st July each year.
18th century cricket
Sevenoaks Vine was a famous venue for major cricket matches in the 18th century and is notable for being the first place in England where cricket was played with three stumps rather than two. Its earliest known use was for Kent
on Friday 6 September
1734, a game which Kent won H T Waghorn
, Cricket Scores, Notes, etc. (1730-1773)
, Blackwood, 1899.
The world record for the highest (known) individual score was twice established at the Vine. First, Joseph Miller
playing for Kent
in August 1774 made 95 out of 240 and enabled Kent to win by an innings and 35 runs Arthur Haygarth
, Scores & Biographies
, Volume 1 (1744-1826, Lillywhite, 1862.
Then in June 1777 came one of the most remarkable innings... Read More