is a Hindu spiritual organisation based on the principles preached by Swami Vivekananda
. It was founded 7 January 1972 in Kanyakumari
, Tamil Nadu
by Shri Ekanathji Ranade
. Its current president is P. Parameswaran
Sphere of influence
The organisation is most influential in North-East India. It has over 200 full-time dedicated workers and 205 branch centres spread over the 18 States of India. The workers are of three categories:
- Jeevanavrati () or life worker, the young men and women who join Kendra for life
- Sevavrati (), who joins Kendra for specific period of time
- Vanaprasthi (), who join Kendra after their retirement
- Karyakarta (), Local workers who does the Nations work without leaving their mundane life
To mould dedicated workers, the Kendra adopts a methodology unique to it by organising 'Yoga varga' (class), 'Bal-samskar varga', 'Swadhyaya varga' and training camps. The training centers are located at all four sides in India. Vivekanandapuram in Kanyakumari
, in Nashik
, Vivekananda Kendra Ashram at Nagdandi in Kashmir
, Vivekananda Kendra Laipuli in Tinsukia
The organisation conducts Yoga
classes, seminars, and rural development activities.
Schools and foundations
- Schools in Arunachal Pradesh running under Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalayas Arunachal Pradesh Trust.
- Schools in North Eastern Area famous as VKV, i.e. "Vivekananda Kendra Vidyalayas" Under project Vivekananda Kendra Siksha Prasar Vibhag.