The Voice of America's Bethany Relay Station
was located in Butler County, Ohio
's Union Township
about 25 miles (40 km) north of Cincinnati
, adjacent to the transmitter site of WLW
. Starting in 1944
during World War II
it transmitted American radio programming abroad on shortwave
frequencies, using 200,000-watt transmitters built by Crosley
engineers under the direction of R.J. Langley. The site was developed to provide 'fallback' transmission facilities inland and away from the East Coast, where transmitters were located in Massachusetts, on Long Island in New York, and in New Jersey, all close to the ocean, subject to attack from German submarines or other invading forces.
Programming originated from studios in New York until 1954, when VOA headquarters moved to Washington.
The station operated until 1994
. The facility took its name from the Liberty Township
community of Bethany
, which was about two miles north of the facility.
, the United States government bought nearly all of Section
12 of Township 3, Range 2 of the Symmes Purchase
, the northeasternmost section of Union Township. From Hazel Beckley, 170 acres (688,000 m²) were purchased; from Philip Condon, 143 acres (579,000 m²); from Lola Gray Coy, 100 acres (405,000 m²); from John Miller, 69 acres (279,000 m²); and from Suzie Steinman, 142 acres (575,000 m²). The site was chosen for its elevation and its shallow bedrock and is today bounded by Tylersville Road on the south, Cox Road to the west,......