is a small town in Waldeck-Frankenberg
district in northern Hesse
Volkmarsen lies on the northern edge of the Waldecker Tafel
(Waldecker Shield (geology)) where it flattens out into the Diemel Valley, some 28 km northwest of Kassel
and 7 km northeast of Bad Arolsen
Volkmarsen borders in the north on the town of Warburg
district in North Rhine-Westphalia
), in the east on the community of Breuna
and the town of Wolfhagen
(both in Kassel
district), in the south and west on the town of Bad Arolsen
and in the northwest on the town of Diemelstadt
(both in Waldeck-Frankenberg).
Besides the main town, which bears the same name as the whole, the town of Volkmarsen consists of the centres of Ehringen, Herbsen, Hörle, Külte and Lütersheim.
Volkmarsen's first documentary mention came in 1155. In a safe-conduct
from Pope Gregory IX
in 1233, Volkmarsen was first described as a town.
The town council's 31 seats are apportioned thus, in accordance with municipal elections held in 2006:<small>Note: FWG is a citizens' coalition.</small>
Coat of arms
Volkmarsen's oldest seal dates from 1272. Like the current coat of arms
, it shows two men, but sitting on a bench, the Count of Everstein and the Abbot of Corvey
, the town's two overlords at the time. Another seal from the mid 14th century shows the now familiar church... Read More