- NB: Vulcan being associated with fire and ironwork, names such as "Vulcan Foundry" were common in many towns and cities. There was no connection with Vulcan Iron Works in the United States.
was a British
locomotive builder sited at Newton-le-Willows
(now part of Merseyside
It was originally opened in 1832 as Charles Tayleur and Company
to produce girders for bridges, switches and crossings, and other ironwork following the opening of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway
. Because of the distance from the locomotive works in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
, it seemed preferable to build and support them locally. In 1832, Robert Stephenson
became a partner for a few years. The company had become The Vulcan Foundry Company
in 1847 and acquired limited liability in 1864. From the beginning of 1898, the name changed again to the The Vulcan Foundry Limited,
dropping the word 'company.'
The site had its own railway station, Vulcan Halt
, on the former Warrington and Newton Railway
line from to . The halt was opened on 1 November 1916 by the London and North Western Railway
, and closed on 12 June 1965.
The first two locomotives were 0-4-0 Tayleur
for the North Union Railway
, similar to Stephenson's "Planet"
design. Next were three 2-2-0s
of a later "planet" type for the......