The W.K. Kellogg Foundation
was founded in June 1930 as the W.K. Kellogg Child Welfare Foundation
by breakfast cereal
pioneer Will Keith Kellogg
. In 1934, Kellogg donated more than $66 million in Kellogg Company
stock and other investments to the W.K. Kellogg Trust. As with other endowment
, the yearly income from this trust funds the foundation.
The private foundation
continues to hold substantial equity in and enjoy a strong relationship with the Kellogg Company, both of which are based in Battle Creek, Michigan
. It is governed by an independent board of trustees.
The foundation is now the 7th largest philanthropic foundation in the U.S. In 2005, the foundation reported that the total assets of the foundation and its trust were US$7.3 billion; about US$5.5 billion of this was in Kellogg Company
stock. The foundation funded US$243 million in grants and programs in its 2005 fiscal year. 82% of this was spent in the United States; 9% in southern Africa; and 9% in Latin America and the Caribbean. In 1996 it supplied a multi-year grant worth $750,000 to start mass salt fluoridation programs which were then carried out by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), covering 350 million people in Bolivia, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama and Venezuela. The project was part of a multi-year plan launched by PAHO in 1994 to “fluoridate the entire Region of the Americas”. More recently, they have provided funding for HealthCorps
to prevent childhood obesity by... Read More