is a small town in Waldeck-Frankenberg
district in northwestern Hesse
Waldeck lies on the Edersee
, a man-made lake
. Waldeck's constituent communities stretch from the shore of the Edersee into the Langer Wald ("Long Forest").
Waldeck borders in the north on the community of Twistetal
, in the northeast on the town of Bad Arolsen
(both in Waldeck-Frankenberg), in the east on the towns of Wolfhagen
(both in the district of Kassel
), in the south on the community of Edertal
, and in the west on the community of Vöhl
and the town of Korbach
(all three in Waldeck-Frankenberg).
The town of Waldeck consists of the centres of Alraft, Dehringhausen, Freienhagen, Höringhausen, Netze, Nieder-Werbe, Ober-Werbe, Sachsenhausen, Selbach and Waldeck.
The first evidence of settlement at Waldeck comes from the year 1232 when a document from the Netze Monastery
mentioned the universitas civitatis de waldeke
. Until 1254, the town was also called Rode, possibly because there was a clearing there. The town's first seal was acquired in 1266, and the town had its first historically verifiable mayor in 1311. Until the beginning of the 20th century, Waldeck's population barely exceeded 400.
Waldeck was the residence of the Counts
of Waldeck who, beginning around 1200, gradually gathered a sizeable realm under their control and, having added the county of Pyrmont
to their... Read More