is a hilltop town in south central Germany
, eastwards of Heilbronn
in the Hohenlohe
. The town is the site of Waldenburg Castle and some hilltop churches. Records first mention Waldenburg in the year 1253, but the town was destroyed in April 1945, at the end of World War II
, and it has been rebuilt since.
Waldenburg covers part of the natural Schwäbisch-Fränkische forest-hills and the Hohenloher-Haller Ebene.
''Naturräume Baden-Württembergs'' (Nature Spaces of
Baden-Württemberg). Landesanstalt for Umwelt, Messungen
and Naturschutz of Baden-Württemberg, Stuttgart, 2009.
Waldenburg includes the village of Waldenburg proper and the 2 sections Obersteinbach (173 people, as of 31 March 2006) and Sailach (222 people).
of Waldenburg dates from 1253. By 1330 it was a free city
. Plague and war reduced the population during the Thirty Years' War
. The Confederation of the Rhine
of 1806 annexed Waldenburg into the Kingdom of Württemberg
, and the town has been part of the Federal Republic of Germany state of Baden-Württemberg
In April 1945 at the end of World War II
the town had been occupied for a last-ditch stand by the Wehrmacht
against the advancing United States 3rd army
, and was almost completely destroyed by American artillery. Postwar efforts have reconstructed some historic buildings.
The ancient castle still belongs to the......