is the oldest building on the campus of Willamette University
in Salem, Oregon
, United States
. Built in 1867 as University Hall, the five-story, red-brick structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places
in 1975. The building has been gutted twice by fires with the interior rebuilt each time, and went through renovations in 1987 to 1989 and again in 2005.
Built in the Renaissance
style of architecture, it is currently used for administration offices and is the oldest university building west of the Mississippi in the U.S. still in use. Waller Hall is located on the north end of campus opposite the Oregon State Capitol
building across State Street. Designed in the shape of a Greek cross, each side has the same measurements and the top has a cupola.
Due to a variety of factors, including the deterioration of the main campus building dating from 1844 and the need for additional space, the university considered building a new building designed specifically for the university beginning in the 1850s.Hines, Gustavus. Oregon and Its Institutions; Comprising a Full History of the Willamette University
. Carlton & Porter, 1868. Then on October 3, 1860, the board of trustees for the school resolved to begin the process of building a new primary hall to be used by the university
. Reverend Alvin F. Waller
was placed in charge of the efforts to raise the... Read More