The Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC)
was the United States Army's
flagship medical center until 2011. Located on 113 acres (457,000 m²) in Washington, D.C.
, it served more than 150,000 active and retired personnel from all branches of the military. The center was named after Major Walter Reed
(1851–1902), an army physician who led the team that confirmed that yellow fever
is transmitted by mosquitoes
rather than direct contact.
Since its origins, the WRAMC medical care facility grew from a bed capacity of 80 patients to approximately 5,500 rooms covering more than 28 acres (113,000 m²) of floor space. WRAMC combined with the Bethesda Naval Hospital
by 2011 to form the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
Origins at Fort McNair
Fort Lesley J. McNair
, located in southwest Washington, D.C. on land set aside by George Washington
as a military reservation, is the third oldest U.S. Army
installation in continuous use in the United States after West Point
and Carlisle Barracks
. Its position at the confluence of the Anacostia River
and the Potomac River
made it an excellent site for the defense of the nation's capital. Dating back to 1791, the post served as an arsenal, played an important role in the nation’s defense, and housed the first U.S. Federal Penitentiary
from 1839 to 1862.
Today, Fort McNair enjoys a strong tradition as the intellectual headquarters for defense. Furthermore, with unparalleled vistas of the... Read More