crosses the River Thames
in west London. It carries the A217 road
between the areas of Battersea
, near Wandsworth Town Station
, in the London Borough of Wandsworth
on the south of the river, and the areas of Sands End
and Parsons Green
, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham
, on the north side.
The first bridge on the site was a toll bridge
built by Julian Tolmé
in 1873, in the expectation that the western terminus of the Hammersmith and City Railway
would shortly be built on the north bank, leading to a sharp increase in the number of people wanting to cross the river at this point. The railway terminus was not built, and problems with drainage on the approach road made access to the bridge difficult for vehicles. Wandsworth Bridge was commercially unsuccessful, and in 1880 it was taken into public ownership and made toll-free. Tolmé's bridge was narrow and too weak to carry buses, and in 1926 a Royal Commission
recommended its replacement.
In 1937 Tolmé's bridge was demolished. The present bridge, an unadorned steel cantilever bridge
designed by Sir Pierson Frank
, was opened in 1940. At the time of its opening it was painted in dull shades of blue as camouflage
against air raids
, a colour scheme it retains. Although Wandsworth Bridge is one of the busiest bridges in London, carrying over 50,000 vehicles daily, it has been described as "probably the least noteworthy bridge in London".
Although opposite each other across the... Read More