In the 1950s, the city's growing population produced overcrowding in the old Blume High School. After a series of failed attempts, the school board won voter approval for the construction of the former school in 1956, and it opened in 1959.Dahill, Harold. "Wapakoneta City Schools". Auglaize County Historical Society, ed. A History of Auglaize County Ohio. Defiance: Hubbard, 1980, 113. This school later became Wapakoneta Middle School.
In 1990, the district opened a new high school building on the north side of town. An auditorium plus new band and choirs room were added in 2010. Eight graders started attending the high school in 2004 as well.