The Warrington and Newton Railway
(W&NR) was an early railway company in England
. It acted as a feeder to the original Liverpool and Manchester Railway
(L&MR), providing services from those two cities to and from Warrington. It was surveyed and engineered by George Stephenson
, and received its Act of Parliament on 4 May 1829.
The line opened on 25 July 1831 less than a year after the L&MR itself. The line ran for 4.5 miles (7.24 km) from a junction west of Newton-le-Willows
with the L&MR at Newton Junction
) to the original Dallam Lane terminus in Warrington
just north of the town centre, with a short south-western branch towards Bank Quay. A short south-eastern branch, provided for in its Act, was not opened until 1837.
The company had putative plans to extend north and south; effectively these were taken over by the newly formed Grand Junction Railway
(GJR), to form part of the route from Birmingham to Liverpool and Manchester (via the L&MR) and northwards through Wigan. After much manoeuvering on both sides the W&NR agreed on 4 February 1835 to be absorbed by the GJR on the basis of a one for one share exchange and a guarantee of 4% interest until the GJR declared dividends. This was confirmed by Act of Parliament of 12 June 1835. An end-on junction was built on the present route around the west side of Warrington, and a new station was built slightly to the north of today's Bank Quay
The central 2.5 mile... Read More