The Warsaw University of Life Sciences
, literally "major school of rural economy") is the largest agricultural university in Poland
. It was founded in 1816.
On 23 September 1816 the School of Agronomy was founded at Marymont
and was accommodated in the palace of Marysa Sobieski
. Branches were established at Bielany
. An Institute of Veterinary Medicine was established at Rządowa
, followed by the Institute of Rural Economy and Forestry in 1840. As Poland was ruled by the Tsar of Russia there were attempts at Russification
which nearly resulted in the closure of the school, but it was transferred first to Puławy
and later to Russia. After the independence of Poland
in 1918 the Institute was returned to Warsaw and became the Major School of Rural Economy in 1919. Horticultural studies were added to those of agriculture and forestry in 1921. Activity was disrupted by the Second World War
and resumed in 1945. The veterinary faculty was transferred from the University of Warsaw
in 1952, and later the departments of agricultural drainage, wood technology, animal husbandry, and of landscape, now known as the Landscape Architecture Section, were established. Land and farms at Ursynowie Wolica
and Wilanów Natolin
were acquired in 1956 and used for development. In 1973 the faculties of agricultural technology and human nutrition were established. The Rector of the University has an office in the historic palace of Julian......