The bridge is located about half a mile south-east of the village. It was built by the civil engineer Thomas Telford. An inscription on the arch records that it was constructed in the year of the Battle of Waterloo: but although designed and constructed in 1815 its erection was not completed that year. It was raised as part of building the road from London to Holyhead (now the A5). The bridge is made wholly from cast iron (apart from the stone bastions) and was only the seventh such bridge to be built.
Quartermaine et al. (2003) Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road: The A5 in North Wales, Council for British Archaeology ISBN 978-1-902771-34-2