is a street in the West End
, central London
. It has historically been associated with the medical profession.
The street runs approximately north-south between New Cavendish Street
at the northern end, crossing Wigmore Street
near Wigmore Hall
just to the east, becoming Vere Street
continuing southwards. The nearest tube station is Bond Street
to the south.The London Welbeck Hospital
, is located at 27 Welbeck Street, and the The Welbeck Street Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System was located on this street as well; the offices of the British Institute of Radiology were formerly located there. The Welbeck Clinic is located at No. 20.
There is a Greek Orthodox Chapel
in Welbeck Street that dates back as far as the early 19th century when the building formed part of the Russian embassy
. The chapel was rebuilt in 1864 and features a particularly fine iconostasis
., Encyclopedia Britannica
, 1911. The chapel is located on the east side of the street near the northern end and can be found on Edward Stanford
's 1862 map of London.Edward Stanford
, , , 1862–1871.
The notorious 18th century highwayman James MacLaine
was once a grocer on Welbeck Street.
In 1799, Thomas Young
established himself as a physician
in this street at No 48, now recorded by a blue plaque
. The street was favoured by... Read More