Its name was originally Weoleahington, meaning 'The settlement by the temple', or 'by the sacred grove'. An alternative suggestion that the name derives from 'Watling Town', because it lies on Watling Street, a Roman road that linked London with the town of Viroconium Cornoviorum (of which Wroxeter is believed to be a small village set within its boundaries), seems to be unlikely, due to several factors, including the earliest written names of the town. Evidence suggests that the site of the sacred Druid grove and temple was on the site of All Saints Parish Church on a raised area in the centre of the town. A church has been on that site for almost 1000 years and the priest was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The original churchyard still remains. A new church, designed by George Steuart, was built in 1789.
Wellington's first market charter is dated 1244 (See citation in external links) and the market... Read More