railway station served the small seaside port of Wells-next-the-Sea
in North Norfolk
. It was opened in 1857 by the Wells & Fakenham Railway
, later part of the Great Eastern Railway
's Wymondham to Wells branch
, and became a junction in 1866 with the arrival of the West Norfolk Junction Railway
. It closed in 1964.
Wells was first linked with the railway in 1857 when the Wells & Fakenham Railway
opened a line to , largely driven by the efforts of Lord Leicester
and the directors of the railway company. They hoped that the railway, to be worked by the Eastern Counties Railway
, would help reverse the declining fortunes of the town, whose inability to take ships of increasing size saw it overtaken by other ports. The decline continued notwithstanding the construction of a short branch line to Wells Harbour
in 1860. In 1862, the Wells & Fakenham Railway became part of the Great Eastern Railway, a move which brought greater importance to the Wells line by providing a north-south connection with London
's increasing food markets.
The West Norfolk Junction Railway was the next to come to Wells, in August 1866. The line came from on a 18½ mile single track aimed at exploiting the great arc of coastline between Hunstanton
. This line entered Wells on a sharp curve, turning through a full 180 degrees before converging with the Wells & Fakenham branch... Read More