is a privately owned golf club and health resort in Virginia Water
on the south western fringes of London
, not far from Windsor Castle
. The club was founded in 1926.
The 19th century house the "Wentworths"
(now the club house
for the club) was the home for the brother-in-law of the Duke of Wellington
. It was purchased in 1850 by exiled Spanish count Ramon Cabrera
. After his death his wife bought up the surrounding lands to form what was to become the heart of the Wentworth Estate
In 1912, builder W.G. Tarrant
had started developing St George's Hill
- a development of houses based on minimum plots based around a golf course. In 1922 Tarrant acquired the development rights for the Wentworth Estate, getting Harry Colt
to develop a golf course around "Wentworth"
house. Tarrant developed the large houses on the estate to a similar Surrey formula used at St George's Hill. Development of Wentworth Estate ground to a halt due to the Great Depression
in the late 1920s. In 1931 when the banks asked for repayment of a large debenture, Tarrant was forced to declare bankruptcy
. The ownership of the land passed to Wentworth Estates Ltd, which came under the control of Sir Lindsay Parkinson & Co Ltd.
Wentworth Club is best known for its associations with professional golf. It has three eighteen hole courses: the famous Harry Colt
-designed West Course from 1926, the... Read More