is one of the six distinct areas of the city proper of Charleston, South Carolina
, with an estimated 2010 population of 57,403. Its name is derived from the fact that the land is west of the Ashley River
. A few skirmishes took place there in the American Revolution
and in the Civil War
. There were several earthworks here in the Civil War, including those at Fort Bull near present day Bees Ferry Road, and those at Rantowles
Creek (also home to a Revolutionary War Skirmish). At a nearby neighborhood known as Red Top, there was a Civil War railroad and phosphate mines. West Ashley is noted as the birthplace of Charleston
as English colonists established the first permanent settlement in the Carolinas there in 1670. The area where the settlers first stepped ashore along the banks of the Ashley River has been preserved as a state historic site known as which features Charleston's only zoo, beautiful gardens and a reproduction seventeenth century sailing vessel among other historical and educational amenities.
Flanked by the scenic waterfront vistas and marshes of the Ashley and Stono Rivers and ancient moss draped oak trees, West Ashley's initial neighborhoods were developed in the 1950s with its largest growth occurring throughout the 1970s and 80's. As Interstate 526 was built in the early 1980s and the Glenn McConnell Parkway was built in the 1990s to help alleviate traffic on the historic Ashley River Road (SC Hwy. 61) corridor, the area... Read More