Henderson High School
is a high school located partially in West Chester
and partially in West Goshen Township
."." Borough of West Chester
. January 20, 2011. Retrieved on February 23, 2011."." West Goshen Township
. Retrieved on February 23, 2011.
Henderson is named after B. Reed Henderson and is one of the three high schools (Henderson, East
, and Rustin
) in the West Chester Area School District
. It was one of the original high schools in the district. Henderson has recently finished an ongoing renovation of the entire school. Robert Sokolowski is the current principal.
The original school, named West Chester High School, was located at Classified Location. The first graduating class were five girls who graduated to the kitchen in 1866. The next graduation was not until 1869, but have been held each year after then. In 1906, a new school was built adjacent to the old one on North Church Street. During this time the Garnet and White, the annual yearbook, was established and continues to this day. In 1923, the Student Council was created to help students and staff work together. Today it is known as the Student Council. With the expansion of athletics, the school needed room for sports fields. In 1923 a stadium was built on Penn Street and stands to this day. The stadium is named J. Oscar Dicks Stadium after the man on the School Board's Athletic Committee who helped lobby for the... Read More