is a place in the London Borough of Ealing
in west London
West Ealing in its present form is less than 100 years old.
In 1234 there was a hamlet
called West Ealing. This name though appears to have been replaced by the name Ealing Dean
at some time. West Ealing station
, for example, began life in 1871 being called something else - Castle Hill & Ealing Dean Station
. The Ealing Dean name is possibly derived from 'valley' or 'denu' and the earliest reference to it goes back to 1456. It appears on a Parish
map of Ealing
dated 1777. Most of what is now West Ealing at this time was open countryside and fields. Houses in the area were only to be found at Ealing Dean, Drayton Green and Castle Bear Hill (now called Castlebar Hill).
In 1387, Drayton Green was called Drayton and later Drayton in Ealing. The late 19th century
saw Drayton develop as a hamlet with eight householders. The area around Drayton Green Lane was later called Steven's Town with more than 40 cottages.
There was an important road running east/west through the area which later became known as the Uxbridge Road
. The Uxbridge Road was a well used route for stagecoaches
during the 19th century and the London
coach called at the ‘Halfway House' pub in West Ealing. The pub is still there but is now called The Broadwalk Hotel. The now defunct ‘Green Man'... Read More