is a residential area on the southern outskirts of metropolitan Birmingham
and near the boundary with Worcestershire
. Located in the ward of Northfield
it is situated between Kings Norton
and Cofton Hackett
and lies on traditional heathland formed in the 13th century as part of the Kings Norton manorial lands.
Based on a small village formed in the early 1900s that was originally centred around the medieval Lilley Lane, the majority of West Heath's expansion and growth took place just after World War II
. The original expansion in the 1940s and 1950s consisted of large numbers of prefab houses
, most of which were eventually replaced by permanent housing estates in the 1960s and 1970s.
There are a number of buildings in West Heath that date to the 19th century and earlier. The suburb is adjacent to rural Worcestershire and a number of public footpaths allow open access to the surrounding fields up to Hopwood, Cofton Hackett and the Lickey Hills
One of the earliest mentions of West Heath is in the Saxon lease of land at Coston Hackett in 849 AD detailing a grant by Worcester's Bishop Ealhhun
to King Berhtwulf, King of Mercia
. West Heath and parts of Kings Norton would remain part of Coston Hackett manor estates as late as the early 20th century. West Heath was mentioned in the manorial court roll of Bromsgrove
and Kings Norton in 1267 when it was recorded that "Richard de Coſton has a purpresture... Read More