was a municipality that existed in Hudson County
, New Jersey
, United States
, from 1861 to 1925.
West Hoboken was originally incorporated as a township
by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature
on February 28, 1861, from portions of North Bergen Township
. The township was reincorporated on April 6, 1871, and again on March 27, 1874. Portions of the township were ceded to Weehawken
On June 28, 1884, West Hoboken was reincorporated as a town
, based on an ordinance passed nine days earlier. The town was reincorporated on April 24, 1888, based on the results of a referendum passed twelve days earlier.
On January 1, 1925, Union City
was formed from the merger of Union Hill
and West Hoboken.
The town had two commercial districts. Transfer Station
at Paterson Plank Road
and Summit Avenue
, in the southern part of town, and Bergen Turnpike
, at the border with Union Hill.
</font> denotes that the person was born there.
- James E. Buttersworth (1817-1894), British maritime artist.Halasz, Piri. "Art: Maritime Theme at Exhibitions; Appeal of Nostalgia History and Humor Portraits of Vessels", The New......