The West Side Tennis Club
is a private tennis
club located in Forest Hills
, a neighborhood in the New York City borough
. It is currently an oasis within the City with 38 courts in all four surfaces (clay, har tru, grass and hard), a junior Olympic swimming pool and many other amenities.
It is most notable for hosting the United States Open
Tennis Championships from 1915 until 1977. In addition, the finals of the Davis Cup
were held at the club 10 times, more than any other venue. It is the current venue of the Forest Hills Tennis Classic
, a WTA Tour
Tier IV event, and a men's challenger event.
The club was founded in 1892 when 13 original members rented land on Central Park West
for three clay courts and a small clubhouse. Ten years later, the land had become too valuable, and the club moved to a site near Columbia University
with room for eight courts. In 1908, the club moved again to a property at 238th Street and Broadway. The new site covered two city blocks and had 12 grass courts and 15 clay courts.
The club hosted the International Lawn Tennis Challenge (now known as the Davis Cup
) in 1911
. With crowds in the thousands, the club leadership realized that it would need to expand to a more permanent location. In 1912, a site in Forest Hills, Queens
, was purchased. The signature Tudor-style
clubhouse was built the next year.
The US Open years
In 1915, the United States Lawn Tennis Association National Championship
, later renamed the U.S. Open
,... Read More