is a theological college of the United Reformed Church
, formerly the Presbyterian Church of England. Its principal purpose is the training of clergy for ordination
, but is also used more widely for training within the denomination. The current Principal of the college is the Revd Dr Susan Durber
, and the Vice-Principal and Director of Studies is the Revd John Proctor.
The college was founded in London in 1844 with a temporary home in the Exeter Hall
before moving to permanent premises in Queen's Square, London
in 1859. It then moved to Cambridge
in 1899 following the gift of a prime site of land near the centre of the city by two Scottish
sisters, Agnes Smith Lewis
and Margaret Dunlop Gibson
, both noted biblical scholars. Following an appeal for funds from the wider Presbyterian
congregation, the college commissioned a new building designed by Henry Hare
and built between 1897–1899. In 1967 the college began to amalgamate with Cheshunt College, Cambridge, presaging the union of the Congregational
and Presbyterian churches to form the United Reformed Church in 1972.
Notable former students include T.W. Manson
, the biblical scholar and Rylands Professor
in the University of Manchester
; Lesslie Newbigin
, ecumenist, bishop, scholar and pioneer of the Church of South India; William Paton
, a precursor to Newbigin and a seminal figure in modern ecumenism
; and W. D. Davies
, known for his work on Paul
and his Jewish......