is a National Hunt
racecourse situated near the market town of Wetherby
in West Yorkshire
, located from Leeds city centre
The Racecourse is located on the B1224 York Road, directly adjacent to the A1
. It is situated opposite Wetherby
. There are new access roads between North and East Wetherby and the A1
. The racecourse can also be accessed from Walton Road at the rear of the stands.
Horse racing in Wetherby was first took place on Scaur Bank (now officially known as King George V playing fields although still most commonly referred to as 'Scaur Bank' or 'The Ings') In 1891 racing moved to a new site situated off York Road. From the 1920s to the 1950s the racecourse was served by Wetherby Racecourse railway station
. In the 1930s the first terraces were erected, a new two tear stand was erected adjacent to this in the 1970s and then in 1999 the new Millennium Stand was opened, providing the racecourse with executive banqueting and conference facilities. Up until 1963, Racecourse Specials ran to Wetherby railway station
from Bradford Interchange
on racedays. As the station on York Road had closed many years before, for decades the only rail access was via the station on Linton Road at the other end of Wetherby from the racecourse.
Wetherby Racecourse is the only racecourse in Yorkshire that hosts only National Hunt
jump meetings, although there are plans in the pipeline to build an additional all-weather
track to... Read More