The Weymouth Pavilion
, formerly the Ritz, was a theatre
that opened in 1908. It was destroyed by fire
in 1954 and a new one built in 1960. It is owned and operated by Weymouth & Portland Borough Council
. The theatre is built on Weymouth Pier
, a peninsula of land reclaimed from the sea between Weymouth Harbour
and Weymouth Beach
and Esplanade.In 1940, it was the headquarters for the newly formed No. 4 Commando
. It was announced in 2006 that the Pavilion complex and surroundings will be entirely redeveloped from 2007 to 2011, in time for the 2012 Olympic Games
. The site will include a new theatre
, a World Heritage Site
visitor centre, a new ferry terminal
, a 4-star hotel
, an undercover car park
, a shopping arcade, offices, luxury and low cost apartments
, houses, public squares, promenades, and a marina
..The redevelopment scheme was aborted in 2009 after general economic situation made it unviable.
A new cafe opened in the Pavilion Foyer in 2010, named "The Ritz" after the earlier theatre on this site.
Westfield Technology College & St Andrews School are currently researching the heritage of Weymouth Pavilion.Video clips of some recent musical shows at Weymouth Pavilion Theatre are on YouTube.