Originally the station, opened on 9 June 1857, was on the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway, built by the London and North Western Railway to connect with the Cromford and High Peak Railway and extended to Buxton in 1863. The station is unusual for the line in that its platform one, where the main station building and ticket office is sited, is on the side for trains bound for Buxton. The platform is on a tight curve and is some 30 cm too low for the height of the carriages used, making it difficult to access for people with mobility problems.
The station enjoys the support of the local community in the form of , a voluntary group dedicated to improving and maintaining the station buildings and grounds.
There is generally an hourly service each day to Manchester Piccadilly (with three trains continuing to Blackpool North) northbound and to Buxton southbound.