is a village and civil parish
in the Blaby district
. It has a population of 6,000 and largely acts as a commuter village
, five miles to the north. Its proximity to Leicester causes Whetstone to form part of the Leicester Urban Area
The village is bounded on the east by the A426
(on the other side of which is Blaby
village), to the north by the railway line from Nuneaton to Leicester
, and to the west by the M1
Whetstone was the site of Frank Whittle
's factory, where jet engines
were developed. Babcock Services, ITP Engines Ltd and Converteam now occupy the site, with smaller companies renting space (mainly for storing commercial vehicles). Until 2002 the site still sounded an air raid siren at 8am to wake up workers.
It is well connected to Leicester
town centre, with a very frequent bus service direct to Leicester
. From 1899 to 1963 the village was served by Whetstone railway station
There are two schools in Whetstone: Badgerbrook primary school and St Peters primary school.
The site of the Whittle factory became the English Electric Company (Later GEC) a significant part of several Nuclear power stations were made there in the 1960's and 70's.English Electric was one of the largest Engineering Companies in the Leicester area, employing thousands of workers and training hundreds of apprentices each year. At one point more than 4,000 workers had to be shipped in from Middlesex to help labour shortages and many settled... Read More