The White Bay Power Station
is a heritage listed former coal
-fired power station
on a site in White Bay
, in the suburb of Rozelle
, from Sydney
in New South Wales
The remains of the plant can be clearly seen at the western end of the ANZAC Bridge
on the junction of Victoria Road and Roberts Street. The station has been inactive for a number of years and the site is now inaccessible to the general public.
The station is often wrongly referred to as the Balmain Power Station
, a plant originally located in Iron Cove
, which has since been demolished.
To satisfy the power requirements for the expansion of the Sydney tram
and rail network, the NSW Department of Railways began the first phase of work on The White Bay Power Station in 1912.
The plant, constructed in the Federation Anglo-Dutch architectural style
, was fully operational from 1917 but two further phases of development, 1923–1928 and 1945–1948, saw the station expand even further. It remained under the control of the department until 1953 when the newly created Electricity Commission of NSW
took over. Ownership moved to Pacific Power
when NSW electricity was deregulated during 1995.
White Bay was the longest serving of Sydney's metropolitan power stations and ceased production on Christmas Day
in 1983. During the 1990s, the site was decontaminated, asbestos was removed and the majority of the remaining machinery taken away. In 2000, the plant was sold to the Sydney Harbour Foreshore Authority
... Read More