() were barracks
in Tsim Sha Tsui
, Hong Kong
. The area is now the site of Kowloon Park
, where several reconverted buildings remain.
It was named after Henry Wase Whitfield
, the commander of British Army in Hong Kong.
In the 1890s, the Barracks were first built for the British Indian garrisons
. Twenty five barrack blocks were built by 1906; the Barracks were developed in subsequent years. By 1910, there had been 85 barrack buildings constructed. A mosque
was also built at the southeastern corner of the site for worship by the garrison.
It belonged to the British Military Force
when Hong Kong was under British rule
. The premises was later returned to the Government of Hong Kong
in 1967. In 1970, the Urban Council
redeveloped the site into the Kowloon Park
The Government ignited some controversy when it made proposals in 1982 for a strip of retail premises fronting Nathan Road
included to be carved into the hill of Kowloon Park. The move was opposed by the Urban Council, as well as the Moslem community, whose mosque was close by.
The remaining Blocks 58, S4, S61 and S62 of the former barracks are listed as Grade III historic buildings
Blocks S61 and S62 were constructed in circa 1910. They are a pair of identical two storied... Read More