The Whitney Young Memorial Bridge
is a bridge
that carries East Capitol Street
across the Anacostia River
in Washington, D.C.
Finished in 1955, it was originally called the East Capitol Street Bridge
. It was renamed for civil rights activist Whitney Young
in early 1974.Bowman, LaBarbara. "Calvert St. Span Renamed for Ellington." Washington Post.
December 12, 1974.Some sources say the renaming came in 1973. See: Washington Post.
April 21, 2005.
The need for a new bridge spanning the Anacostia River was first identified in 1949 after worsening traffic at Barney Circle
led to widespread citizen complaints."Need for 2d Span Across Anacostia Held Urgent." Washington Post.
March 13, 1949.Winship, Thomas. "Anacostia Bridge at Mass. Ave. Proposed." Washington Post.
October 31, 1949. This bridge was opposed by the National Capital Park and Planning Commission
(NCPPC), which asked that a bridge be built by extending Massachusetts Avenue SE
through the undeveloped Hill East/Reservation 13 area and connecting it with its namesake street in the Greenway
... Read More