is a community in the Arun
district of West Sussex
. Originally a separate village, it now forms part of the built up area around Littlehampton
. It lies on the A284
road 0.6 miles (1 km) north of the town centre.
There is an annual summer festival held in Wick. The village hall is one of the largest in the area, there are several flint Victorian buildings including All Saints Church and one thatched cottage. Wick contains three separate parades of shops, including a Co-Operative supermarket, green grocer, bakery, a laundrette, two pubs and various other small specialist shops.
It is often recognised as one of the most deprived areas along the south coast.
The name "Wick" came to England after the Norman Conquest
of 1066. The village of Wick formed around the Wick Manor.The village has an ancient Roman Brick/clay making site, (this now lies under a road called 'Potters Mead', off courtwick road).
that passes by the True Blue public house
, is known locally as 'Dark Alley' due to the black clinker
surface laid down along its route.
During the early 1990s Wick had a reputation for drug and alcohol addiction, high teenage pregnancy, low literacy levels and low ‘community esteem’ this resulted in the highly successful "The WIRE project
" being established to address these issues.
In 2009 the True Blue pub was demolished to make way for new housing.