is the Hauptbahnhof for the city of Wiesbaden, the state capital of the German state of Hesse. It is a terminal station at the southern edge of the city center and is served by over 500 long-distance and regional trains and used by 50,000 travelers each day.
The current station replaced three stations in the city centre, which were all three next to each other near the fairground (Rhein-Main-Hallen) and Wiesbaden Museum. These were:
The new station building became necessary to handle the growing number of passenger visiting the spa city at that time. In order to preserve to the staircase to the spa building, it was designed as a terminal station. It was built from 1904 to 1906 according to the plans of Fritz Klingholz in a flamboyant neo-baroque style that corresponded to an international style of architecture adopted for spa towns. It was also intended to welcome KaiserWilhelm II on his visit to the spa every May and a platform was established for him and other aristocrats. The first train ran into the new station on 15 November 1906 around 2:23 a.m.
In 2003 and 2004 the station was comprehensively reconditioned and modernized at a cost of 25... Read More