is the name given today to the area around the canal
at the bottom of the Wigan flight of locks on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal
. It is a popular location for visitors and the local community in Wigan
, Greater Manchester
, England, situated just a few hundred yards south-west of the town centre.
The original "pier
" at Wigan was a coal loading staithe
, probably a wooden jetty, where wagons from a nearby colliery were unloaded into waiting barges on the canal. The original wooden pier is believed to have been demolished in 1929, with the iron from the tippler (a mechanism for tipping coal into the barges) being sold as scrap.
The name Wigan Pier was possibly invented by and was brought to popular attention by George Formby, Sr.
in the Music Halls of the early twentieth century and later by George Formby, Jr.
who incorporated it into his songs. Someone looking out of an excursion train to Southport
in the fog and seeing a coal gantry asked "Where are we?" and was told "Wigan Pier". The tippler became the favoured location when people subsequently wanted to see it. There are references to it in songs such as On the Wigan Boat Express
In 1937, Wigan was featured in the title of George Orwell
's The Road to Wigan Pier
, which dealt, in large part, with the living conditions of England's working poor. In response to a critic, Orwell... Read More